Dienstag, 3. November 2015

Studying Game Engineering



I'm 19 now and study something called Game engineering in Germany. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. A good decicion in my life. But there are some things I didn't expect and some I wish I had known of before. 
Basically, it's all about Games and what you need to know to make them. A little bit of design, some programming, drawing, storyboarding, ...
And my timetable is just awesome. I need to go to my University of Applied Sciences only twice a week, the mensa has food (sometimes awesome, sometimes horrible), and the library is pretty nice. The profs are nice. There are nice parties, awesome people and no bitches. Wheey. And some discounts and other possibilities, like access to the trade visitor days on the gamescom in Cologne (Germany) or specific programs that would be veeeeery expensive if I had to buy them myself. Best decision of my life. 

And then there are these little mean things that suck a lot. Maths, It Systems, Databases, and a long ongoing list of things I don't like or don't understand. My mistake was the following: I thought I'd study something more designish. More about characters, the stories, and so on. But the biggest part is math. And pure, stupid studying of facts and programming languages. 

The positive thing is: by learning all that stuff, I could create a very little and simple game at the end of my first semester. It was like the game called battlesship, but with only one little ship on a 3x3 playground. Oh, I could make a tiny 3D-Movie with my own designed character, too. 
Second semester: I have awesome drawing skills now and I can ddesign my stories and characters by myself now. 
Third semester: I might be able to make my own app. Wheey. Let's see where this one ends. 

I have seen some bachelor projects and they're awesome. One was a game including a sunsystem. You can trade gold and other stuff between the planets. It's pretty complex. To be honest, I didn't understand everything, but I had only 2 minutes to try it, so I guess that's okay. I am honored and amazed. I don't feel ready yet, but I will make some awesome (or terrible) games for you and I will tell you about it as soon as I know more. 

But there's one thing I'm uncertain about. I don't know if you want to know more about Game Engineering, and what I discover here
. I don't want to bore you out. So tell me ;)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen